Flood Scare: Govt charges Residents to avoid flood zones

Posted: September 6, 2013 in BENUE, Uncategorized
Tags: , ,

Image

Benue state Governor Gabriel Suswam has advised  those living at flood prone zones in the state to move to safe areas to prevent any unpleasant development as the state is on the verge of another flood disaster.

Suswam who made the call during a chat with newsmen in Makurdi, the state capital yesterday however said the magnitude of flood would not be as terrible as that of last year given a recent agreement struck with the authorities of Lagdo Dam in Cameroon.

The agreement which was struck when the Minister of Water Resources, Mrs. Sarah Ochekpe in company of the State Commissioner for Water Resources, Engr. Conrad Wergba, among others visited Cameroun recently was to release water from the dam in piece meal unlike last year when it was released at once.

The governor reiterated his determination to utilize the N500million intervention fund from the federal government for projects, adding that already N200million out of the sum was already being committed to drainage along Gboko road.

He said the balance of N300milion which has been shared among the local government areas affected by the disaster last year will be officially given to them as soon as the rain recedes, reiterating that ‘no one dime of that money will be shared’.

The affected councils, he said would commit their money to build bridges, schools and roads and assured that the projects will be thoroughly monitored.

 

 

 

Let's know what you think of this post

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s